Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Author Interview with Jeanne Bannon

I recently had the pleasure of interviewing an intriguing author. I will be reviewing my copy of Invisible soon and I can't wait! It looks to be such an amazing book and Jeanne is an amazing person! She has truly been nothing short of incredible over the last couple of weeks. She was very patient with me while I was sick and she has done everything in her power to work with me and make things run smoothly for this interview and for the review coming up. Thank you Jeanne for being such a great person.
I hope you all enjoy the interview!

When did you start writing?
I’ve written on and off all my life. But when life got busy with kids and career, I put my writing on hold for a number of years. I’ve only gotten back to it in the last three years.

How many novels have you written? How many of those novels have been published?
I’ve written two novels. Invisible was just published by Solstice Publishing in September 2011 and my second novel, Dark Angel is in the final stages of rewrites. I hope to have it ready to shop around by the end of the year.

What author inspired you the most in your writing?
There are so many authors who inspired me, but I’d have to give most of the credit to Stephen King. I think he’s amazing. He’s a master of characterization and setting. He’s underrated as an author. I think he deserves the same acclaim the literary types get.

What new authors do you like to read?
I loved Suzanne Collins’ Hunger Games trilogy. But to tell you the truth I tend to stick with the tried and true authors. I read so much it’s hard to make room for another ‘new’ author. I’ve recently discovered Linwood Barclay. He’s fabulous and I’m enjoying his new novel The Accident.

I have heard that ALL authors experience “writer’s block” at some point in their writing? How did you get past it?
I don’t really suffer from writer’s block so much as I do laziness. Once in front of my computer I can find a million different things to do instead of write. Once I start I’m good unless I hit a brick wall with plot. I often get stuck on a plot point and get discouraged. Then I leave it alone for a while until I can sort it out in my mind.

Before your book was contracted were you turned down by any publishers? If so, how many?
I was pretty lucky. Invisible was only turned down by one other publisher before I was offered a contract.

Is there any one character in your book that is more like you than the others?
The main character, Lola is like me. She looks nothing like me and that was by design. She’s a very large girl whereas I’m petite but there are similarities between her and I. She loves to read and write as do I. She’s close to her grandmother and so was I. She has trouble with bullies at school and I had two years of hell with bullies after moving to a new neighborhood when I was 12.

Do you think that social networking (facebook, twitter, etc.) is a good way for an author to get more publicity for their books? Do you use any of these?
Yes, absolutely. Without social networking it would be virtually impossible for an author to gain attention for their book. Especially if they’re a new author. I use Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads, Linkedin, LibraryThing and I blog as well.

Do you have a job other than writing?
Yes, I’m an editor. I’ve worked in the publishing industry for over twenty years. Before that I was a freelance writer, but that was a hard way to make a living.


Tell me a little about your life aside from writing. Your family, pets, hobbies etc.
I’m married. My husband Dave Repole and I have two daughters, Nina and Sara. We’ve got a sweet miniature Schnauzer named Emily and a very bratty Tabby named Spencer. When I’m not writing, I’m reading. Writing, editing, reading are my life. I have no time for hobbies, lol
Jeanne, Thank you so much for your time and patience. 

You can find more information about Jeanne's book on Amazon by following this link:

If you are interested in reading Invisible please sign up to be a Top Shelf Tour Host by filling out the form that is linked at the bottom of THIS page, as it will soon be available for the Around the World tours!

6 comments:

Jeanne Bannon said...

Christina, it is truly my pleasure to be interviewed by you. Your blog is fabulous and you've got the most amazing and orginal ideas for promotion that I've come across! Thank you so much for your very kind words. I appreciate all you've done :D

Christina Irelan said...

Aww.! Thank you! I'm so glad that you like my Ideas :)

Shilpa Mudiganti said...

Inspiring interview....I love author interviews! Please convey my best wishes to Jeanne!

Jeanne Bannon said...

Thank you kindly, Shilpa :)

InlovewithTwilight7 said...

Great interview. I can't wait to read an a sample of the book...


Tash

natasha.strong@gmail.com

Jeanne Bannon said...

Thanks very much, Natasha :)