Sunday, October 2, 2011

Disrupted Lives by: Brenda Youngerman

Synopsis: A name does not make a person, a person makes a name.
Such is the theme of Disrupted Lives, the story of how one adopted child touches and intersects with many lives, but ends up destroying one family name, while building another family's legacy.
Darren and Amelia Kane were high school sweethearts torn apart by war. They reunite and discover that they both must put their nightmares behind them to build a life together. Betrayed by her parents, Amelia was earlier forced to give up their child.
Fiona Porter and Sterling Lake are thrown together as part of a business proposition. They end up surprising both their families by enriching the Lake empire and family name. The Lakes become synonymous with society, power and money, and their children must carry that torch forward at all cost. When an adopted grandchild is brought into the family, he questions the definition of "family."

Review: I loved this story. It is very heart wrenching and I have to admit it was hard to hold back the tears at times but it was totally worth it! Brenda did a wonderful job intertwining the two families over the three generations covered in this story. She also showed how money and power are not the key to happiness. My favorite line in the book is "A name does not make a person, a person makes a name." I beleive that Ben Lake's character proved this line true in more ways than one.

5 comments:

MaryAnn said...

Very much interested in picking up this book! Looks I'll have to break out the tissues.
MaryAnn

Unknown said...

Kristina,
Thanks for such a great review. I'm glad you enjoyed the book.
Mary Ann, if you're interested in getting an authographed copy - drop me an email.... brenda@brendayoungerman.com :)

Christina Irelan said...

You are VERY welcome! It was a GREAT read!

anaavu said...

Huh. I've heard about this one 'round town lol. I think I'll have to give it another look!

Christina Irelan said...

I really liked this book! May not be everyone's cup of tea but it sure was mine!